We are the foos family. PaFoo ~ PaPa Frank Foo. MaFoo ~ MaMa Melanie Tan. KaFoo ~ Daughter Kayzia Foo. KiFoo ~ Son Kieran Foo

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

What would you do? (1)

Place: Market coffee shop.
Time: Morning.
Incident:
You got your coffee, just made payment and about to leave.
There were 7-8 fellas behind you.
Just then auntie (in her late 50s) came right in, cutted queue, made her order.
What would you do?

hightlight below.....
What I did:
I told her “ Auntie, please queue up”
She went “ Ah Di, none of your business”
I went “ You cut queue, go queue up like everyone else”
She went “you kapo, I order first cannot isit”
As she went on grumbling, I walked off (more interested in having my breakfast) I didn’t think anyone would have said no to her for jumping the queue, IF she had asked. Don’t get me wrong, I think the elderly do need more attention and help but I don’t think they should abuse it and take advantage of others. Will I do it again? What do you think?



Place: Crowded MRT.
Time: Rush hour.
Incident:
You could not board the train cause it was too packed.
You were now first in queue for the next one.
People started queuing behind yellow diagonal line, leaving the front empty.
Just then uncle (in his late 50s) came right in to that empty spot, cut queue, then look at you.
What would you do?


hightlight below.....

What I did:
Actually in this case, I didnt have a choice.
Why? Cause the uncle went, “ Why, what u looking at? not happy isit?”
I went: “ Uncle, there is a queue, you should go queue there”
He went “What, you bully oldman? Why not u talk to others who jumped queue?”

Er, he was the only one standing in that "keep clear" area.
I went “Cause you are the only one that cut queue here!”
This happened right infront of everyone. MaFoo told me to stop talking to him and let it go. Train came, we boarded, I kena bothered. Again, I couldn't stand this sort of attitude.

4 comments:

watever said...

i think i would juz let them be... no point fighting wif old uncle & auntie

Tora said...

Incident (1), I'll nicely point the end of the queue out to the auntie and assume she didn't see the queue. If she ignores, it's up to the stallholder or the person behind me to then pipe up.

Incident (2), I'll ignore the uncle cos he will most probably kena "suan-ed" by the people coming out of the train. Tempting to say something to him but dun think I'll receive much support from the other passengers waiting for the train.

As to when we pipe up about something, I've come to realise I gotta choose when it is important to do so. I've had people cut in queues here in Aus quite a few times (no different than Singapore) so I turn a blind eye cos it's a matter of me waiting only a couple more mins for my turn (and no-one else waiting in line). But there are times when it's worth putting your foot down cos there are people behind you waiting for their turns too.

That said, on Phill's recent trip to Singapore, an Aussie girl piped up about a Russian couple who jumped queue (over 40 people waiting in line) at customs in Changi Airport. Fortunately, Phill stepped in and backed her up too. She shouted for the police who took their sweet time to arrive and they didn't do anything until more police personnel showed up then they took the Russian couple away. The Aussie girl wasn't at the head of the queue, but the Chinese couple in the front of the queue just kept quiet. They didn't even say anything to support the Aussie girl!!! Arrrgghhhh!

tiramisho said...

The kopi buying incident:
I will ask the auntie to queue up. If I am in a good mood, I will tell the auntie nicely, "Auntie, there are many people queuing so please be fair." If I am not in a good mood, I'll tell the auntie, "Auntie, please queue up!"

Train incident:
Think I will just let it go. Many people don't queue or there's no proper queue system to begin with. At least for the kopi stall, there was obviously a queue!

Many times, these aunties and uncles think they are the kings and queens just because they are old(er)? Unless they are very frail, I will close both eyes. Else, I think they should learn to respect others if they want others to respect them too!! Tio-boh??? Fair right? ;p

Vivien Macdonald said...

I give them a good stare ...for a LONG, LONG time...and if that doesn't work, then, i'll say something like "oh, thank you for not standing in line...it totally made my day"...sarcastically. :-)